Questions Every Writer Must Ask Before Self-publishing
The incredibly high volume of eBooks being self-published each year shows just how many people have the desire to write. While the advent of self-publishing has provided every writer to become a self-published author, it has also raised some new questions in how a new and unknown author can stand out in a very competitive market.
In order to write a quality, informative or engaging eBook, you need to be writing for the right reasons. If you are passionate about a specific topic or genre then you will be writing for the right reasons and this will be reflected in your writing. Writing for the wrong reasons will also show through in your writing and likely result in limited success.
There are people who self-publish for the added prestige of being known as a published author. Some write to improve their credibility for business reasons. Some write just because they want to be famous. Some write because they have read about the self-published authors who have become millionaires. The most successful authors are the ones who write because they enjoy writing and are passionate about the topic or subject they are writing about.
Before heading down the path of becoming a self-published author it is important you answer the following questions to help provide some clarity and understanding on what you want to achieve from self-publishing an eBook. This ‘clarity’ will then provide you with the motivation to set and achieve your writing goals.
1. Why Do You Want to Write an eBook? Are You Writing:
- Just to make money?
- Because you have always had that desire to become a published author?
- To increase your online visibility?
- To build credibility in your selected field?
- To establish yourself as a subject-matter expert?
- To create new opportunities within your field?
- To promote another product or service you provide?
- To share some unique knowledge you have about a topic?
- To give other people pleasure and enjoyment?
- To educate other people about a specific topic you are an expert in?
- To build your brand?
- To showcase your creative writing skills?
2. What Type of eBook Do You Want to Write?
- What do your friends want to talk to you about?
- What questions do you constantly get asked by your work colleagues?
- When you have people’s attention what are you talking about?
- What topic or genre do you find most interesting or enjoyable?
- What are you most passionate about?
- What topic is most interesting to you?
- What do you most enjoy talking about?
- What subject do you enjoy sharing your knowledge with others?
- If you had to give a speech what would you talk about?
- What genre or category do you enjoy reading?
- How can you most help others with your knowledge and experience?
3. What Do You Want Your Readers to Get from Your eBook?
- Enjoyment and happiness?
- Increased knowledge on a specific topic?
- Gain access to some unique tips or secrets?
- Answer to a specific problem?
- Help to make them money?
- Help to improve their health?
- Help to improve their lifestyle?
4. Who Will Want to Read Your eBook? Who is Your Target Audience?
The first department in our Academy is dedicated to identifying the people who would want to buy your eBook. Once you know who your target audience is then you can set-about providing them with what they want. You will also have the information you need on the demographics of your readers. Are they:
- Male or female?
- What language do they speak?
- Where do they live?
- What income bracket do they fall in?
- And many more questions you can find in our eBook Planning Department.
5. Why Do You Think You are Qualified to Write this eBook?
- What specific expertise qualifies you to write this eBook?
- What credibility do you have that qualifies you to write this eBook?
- What specific knowledge qualifies you to write this eBook?
- What creative writing skills do you have?
- What unique storyline or plot do you have to share?
- Why would someone want to buy your eBook over the thousands of other authors?
- What specific experiences do you have that qualifies you to write this eBook?
- Do you have an existing following that qualifies you to write this eBook?
- Have your blog or newsletter subscribers asked you to write this eBook?
6. What Competition Do You Have?
- How many eBooks in your category or genre are listed on Amazon?
- How many best-selling authors write eBooks in your category?
- How popular is your category?
- Are there eBooks already written on your topic?
- What language are eBooks in your category written?
- Are you writing for a niche market?
7. Do You Have the Time to Write?
- Do you have a busy work life?
- Do you have a busy family life?
- Are you willing to give-up on social events to write?
- When will you write your eBook?
- What is the best day for you to write/
- How many hours a week will you devote to writing?
- How long will it take to write your eBook?
8. Do You Have the Time to Promote Your eBook?
- Do you know how to use social media such as Facebook or Twitter?
- Do you have the time to post fresh content?
- Do you know how to create a marketing strategy for your eBook?
- Do you know how to write a press release?
- Do you know how to build a blog and post regularly?
- How will you conduct a pre-launch campaign?
- How will you promote your eBook?
- Are you prepared to give away free copies of your eBook?
- How will you drive customers to your eBook page on Amazon?
9. How Will You Get Your eBook into the Online Stores?
- Will you use Smashwords?
- Will you use another eBook distribution service provider?
- Will you upload your eBook directly to Amazon?
- What other stores do you want to see your eBook in?
- How much commission are you willing to give up for a distributor?
- Do you know how to format your eBook?
11. What are Your Goals?
- To make money?
- To become a best-selling author?
- To become famous?
- To sell 10,000 copies?
- To write an eBook trilogy?
- To replace your day job and write full-time?
- To build your brand?
12. What Help Will You Need?
- Will you pay for an editor?
- Will you pay for a graphic designer to produce a professional looking cover?
- Will you pay a service provider to distribute your eBooks for you?
- Will you pay for someone to format your eBook?
If you are struggling to answer these questions or finding some a little overwhelming then do not worry! Our Academy provides you with the advice, tips, help and resources for each required step involved in the self-publishing process. The point of getting you to answer these questions is to make you aware of the requirements in becoming a successful author. We can help you but ultimately it will come down to you to ‘action’ all steps and take control of your writing career.