Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth
In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue-Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is-she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are-and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she’s chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she’s kept hidden from everyone because she’s been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the YA scene with the first book in the Divergent series-dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.
eBooks in Divergent Trilogy:
- Divergent (Divergent, #1)
- Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
- Allegiant (Divergent, #3)
- Beatrice “Tris” Prior: Main character of the novel, born into Abnegation but chooses Dauntless as her faction.
- Tobias “Four” Eaton: Instructor to the initiates, born into Abnegation. Serves as the love interest of Tris.
- Caleb Prior: Tris’ brother, who chooses Erudite as his faction, born into Abnegation.
- Natalie Prior: Tris’ mother, born Dauntless, but chose Abnegation.
- Andrew Prior: Tris’ father, born Erudite, but chooses Abnegation, now one of the Abnegation leaders.
- Eric: Dauntless Leader who turns out to be evil. Four’s nemesis.
- Christina: Tris’s fellow Dauntless initiate and her best friend.
- Will: Another Dauntless initiate. Christina’s boyfriend, and Tris’s friend.
- Albert “Al” : A friend of Tris who shows an interest in her. After Tris’s rejection, he attacks her along with Peter and Drew, and later commits suicide.
- Peter: Tris’s nemesis and fellow Dauntless initiate. Later becomes an ally of Tris’s.
- Tori Wu: Member of Dauntless faction who administers the aptitude test for Tris. Former Erudite, and is a tattoo artist.
- Jeanine Matthews: Antagonist of the novel and the leader of Erudite.
- Molly: Peter’s friend, who later becomes factionless.
- Drew: Peter’s friend, who later becomes factionless.
- Edward: A Dauntless initiate who later becomes factionless after being stabbed in the eye with a butter knife by Peter.
- Myra: A Dauntless initiate who also chooses to be factionless to stay with Edward but later leaves him.
- Marcus Eaton: Tobias’ father who abused him (Tobias) when he was little. One of the Abnegation leaders.
- Uriah: Tris’ friend and a Dauntless born.
- Zeke: Uriah’s brother and Four’s friend.